To prevent contamination of the cord and putting new born at risk, ensure you avoid these harmful practices.
- Avoid the use of dirty instrument to cut the stump
- Avoid the use of hot knife to burn the stumps
- Avoid the application of harmful items/ objects on the cord including:
4. Human and animal faeces
5. Gentian violet (that is antiseptic dye used to treat fungal infections of the skin)
6. Hot fomentation with hot water, lantern, knife and application of menthol containing creams,
(a fomentation means the application of a compressed item such as a folded towel which has been squeezed from hot water, or made hot by sliming and placing it on the chest, abdomen etc.).
Only an anti-microbial such as 7.1% Chlorhexidine gel is recommended to replace the harmful substances. It should be applied immediately after birth.